Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rainy day chicken soup



We finally got some rain in Atlanta!  I had planned to take Mia to the park yesterday morning and after some debate about whether or not to cancel - I decided to go ahead and walk in the rain.   By the time we got to the park, it was only lightly drizzling - perfect walking weather.  Mia didn't even seem to notice that it was sprinkling and I enjoyed the cooler temperature.  We only saw 2 other people at the park - it was very quiet and quite peaceful.  I didn't even listen to my iPod while I walked.  I opted instead to listen to the soothing sounds of the gentle rain on the leaves. 

When I got home, I heated up a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup for lunch.  It really hit the spot after my walk.  I was so glad that I had made a double batch of chicken noodle soup on Monday to stock up my freezer for Fall.  


Chicken Soup
Stock                                                           Soup
1 pound ground chicken                           3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon oil                                         ¼ cup cold water
1 celery rib, chopped                                 1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 onion, minced                                          2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 carrot, chopped                                       1 celery rib, halved and sliced
1 quart water                                               1 potato, cut in ¾” cubes
2 quarts chicken broth                              1 cup egg noodles
2 bay leaves                                                 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
2 teaspoons salt               
2 chicken breasts with ribs

Heat oil in pot.  Add ground chicken, onion, carrot and celery.  Cook 10 minutes until chicken is cooked.  
Add water, broth, bay, salt and chicken breasts.  Cover and cook on medium low for 30 minutes.  Remove lid, increase heat to high and remove chicken breasts.  Cook 20 minutes.  Strain stock through strainer.  Allow to cool and skim off fat.

Return stock to pan and combine cornstarch and water to make a slurry.  Stir into stock and bring to a boil.  Add onion, celery, carrots and potato.  Cook 10 minutes.  Add noodles and cook 5 minutes.  Shred chicken and add to soup with parsley.  Cook another 2 minutes.



Before I added the noodles, I divided my double batch of soup into 6 smaller containers.  I labelled the containers and put them in the freezer for another rainy day.








Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment