Sunday, September 4, 2011

Overnight Eggs





Last night we went to the Celebrate Freedom concert.  If you live in Atlanta and you've never been to a Celebrate Feedom concert - I highly recommend it.  Lots of great music - Switchfoot, Echoing Angels, Josh Wilson and Newsboys - just to name a few.  We were having such a good time that no one wanted to leave so it turned out to be a very late night.  I was really glad that I had made breakfast ahead of time so I didn't have to wake up early. 

I love this egg casserole recipe because I can make it the day before I want to serve it and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.  In the morning, all I need to do is to preheat the oven and then pop the eggs in to cook.  Breakfast doesn't get much easier than that. 

Baked Egg Casserole
6 slices bread                           ½ teaspoon dry mustard
6 eggs                                      ½ teaspoon salt
2 cups milk                             ¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup grated cheddar              1 pound sausage or bacon
1 cup grated mozzarella

Fry sausage or bacon.  Crumble bread into a greased 9x13 pan.  Beat eggs, mustard, salt, pepper and milk.  Pour over bread.  Sprinkle crumbled sausage or bacon over top.  Refrigerate overnight.


 Bake uncovered 50-55 minutes at 350.


This is a perfect recipe to use when you are serving breakfast to guests.  When I am entertaining company for breakfast, I put the eggs in the oven to bake and I cut up fresh fruit and get the rest of my meal ready.  By the time the eggs are finished baking, breakfast is ready to be served.

I have seen a lot of different variations of this egg casserole recipe.  When I lived in Texas, I often made it with a can of green chilies.  I've also made it with chopped vegetables.  (spinach, bell pepper, mushrooms and green onion) You can get really creative and use different types of cheese as well.  Give this recipe a try and post a comment with your version of egg casserole.

Bon Appetit!





No comments:

Post a Comment