Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Life with a wimpy ankle


For those of you that haven't heard the story of my wimpy ankle, I will give you the abbreviated version.  

I started running in May of 2001 as a means of stress relief.  I entered a couple of 5K races and then eventually some 10K races.  Over the next several years, I gradually increased my mileage and worked up to running a half marathon in April of 2006.   I never really fell in love with running but what I did love was the fact that it was an efficient and inexpensive means of keeping myself in shape.  
 
During the summer of 2008, I started to experience unexplainable pain in my right ankle.  I tried my hardest to ignore it and to run through the pain but my running was brought to an abrupt halt in September of 2008 after an MRI showed deterioration of a bone in my ankle.  I was restricted to crutches until further notice.










 


The final diagnosis - Avascular Necrosis in my talus bone.  (AVN)  The prognosis was not good and the news even got worse when my surgeon informed me that I needed to give up running for good.  I was devastated.   I had surgery in November of 2008 to stop the deterioration of the bone.  My recovery was slow - 2 weeks on bed rest, 3 more months on crutches and 9 months in a PTB brace.
Six months after my surgery, some of my friends suggested that I try P90x.  I started the program while I was still in a leg brace.  It was challenging and exhausting but it gave me hope that I could overcome my wimpy ankle.  I completed my 90 days and then I started it all over again - this time without a leg brace.

Now, I'm completely hooked on the Beachbody workouts.  In 2010, I ordered One on One with Tony Horton and Insanity.   Now I combine all 3  programs into a workout schedule that is perfect for me.  I'm in better shape now than I was when my only exercise was running. 


Included with the P90x and the Insanity programs are nutrition guides and recipes.  The recipes are designed to provide you with the energy that you need to continue the workouts and still burn fat.  There are several recipes from the P90x recipe book that have become family favorites, like the turkey burgers.

My friend Ben adapted this chicken salad recipe from the P90x recipe book and it's one of the best chicken salads I've ever eaten.  Last week, I made a batch big enough to serve 30 people.  (It was for a party - not for my family of 4.)  If you like chicken salad - you need to give this reicpe a try. 
 



P90X Chicken Salad
3 pounds chicken, roasted and shredded            
3/4 cup light mayonnaise
2 teaspoons dill                     
1/4 cup honey Dijon
3 cloves garlic                               
3 green onions, sliced            
1/4 cup slivered almonds
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients except almonds.  Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour.  Top with almonds and serve.

Bon Appetit!







No comments:

Post a Comment