Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dreamy muffins


I don't know if anyone else goes to bed at night, thinking about what they are going to have for breakfast.  On most nights, I fall asleep thinking about which yummy treat I will make for myself in the morning.  I go over all the possible breakfast options in my head before I finally settle on one, just minutes before I drift off to sleep.  I get so excited about my impending breakfast that I've even been know to dream about it. 

A couple nights ago, I made a batch of coffee cake blueberry muffins before I went to bed.  I was really tempted to eat a warm muffin because they smelled so good.  (I don't normally eat anything between dinner and breakfast - which probably explains some my fascination about breakfast.)  I finally decided that the best way to resist the urge to snack was to go to bed.  I tried to hard to forget about the warm treats cooling on the counter but the sweet aroma of muffins was lofting through the air.  I definitely had muffins on my mind as I fell asleep. 

After 8 hours of eager anticipation about my morning muffin, I had really high expectations.  It definitely did not disappoint.   My muffin was moist and delicious and the crunchy cinnamon streusel topping was exquisite.  I also had some fresh fruit and a banana with my coffee cake blueberry muffin - a perfect breakfast. 

Coffee Cake Blueberry Muffins
1 1/2 cups flour                                 Streusel Topping
3/4 cup sugar                                      1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder             1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt                                1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/3 cup butter, melted                       2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
Combine flour, sugar baking powder and salt.  In another bowl, combine butter, egg, milk and vanilla.  Mix well.  Slowly add the egg mixture to flour mixture.  Gently fold in blueberries.
Fill muffins cups.
Combine streusel ingredients in a food processor.  Pulse until crumbly.  Sprinkle evenly over muffins.  Bake muffins 20-25 minutes at 400.

Since I am still very new to food blogging, I spend time on other food blogs to get a sense of what other people are blogging about.  One of my favorite food blogs is "For the love of cooking."   If you haven't seen this site - you should definitely check it out.  This is where I found the recipe for these delicious muffins.  (Thanks, Pam)  She has some amazing photographs of her food and some really great recipes. 

The girls decided that they didn't want to wait until morning to eat their muffins.  They ate their muffins for a bedtime snack.









 I am happy to announce that this is the first blog that has been published from my new ipad.  My wonderfully talented and technical husband has my ipad up and running like a champ.  Now I can update my blog even when I am away from my computer.  Yea.






Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment