Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Dinner served in shifts


Some days it seems like dinner is just not going to fit into our schedule.  There was a night last week when the boys were headed to the gym, my daughter had soccer practice and I had to attend a meeting at the school.  Even though it's not ideal, in order to get everyone where they needed to be tonight, we had to eat dinner in shifts.

I turned to one of my favorite Mexican meals to feed my family on this busy night - tostadas.

To save time, I started with a package of pre-baked tostadas shells. I also prepped all of the toppings and stored them in microwave safe bowls in the refrigerator in advance. When it was time to eat, I warmed the beans and the chicken in the microwave and set out the rest of the toppings. We each created our own personal tostada in between our evening activities.

The toppings included:
cooked, shredded chicken
fat free refried black beans
shredded lettuce
shredded mozzarella cheese
salsa
avocado slices
sliced olives

Other toppings:
sour cream
guacamole




The tostadas ranged from my son' very basic bean and chicken tostada to my husband's very elaborate tostada with all the toppings.


The tostada that is pictured at the top of the blog had refried black beans, chicken, salsa, lettuce, mozzarella and olives. 


Check back in on my blog this afternoon to see what I did with the leftovers.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment