Saturday, August 27, 2011

Will Workout for Muffins

 

This weekend marks the end of my 5 week workout rotation.  That means that I get to start it all over again on Monday morning.  I start every new rotation with a fitness test just to make sure that I'm at least maintaining my current level of fitness.  I use the Fit Test that came with the Insanity workout.  It is pretty basic really - doing specific exercises for 1 minute and counting the number of reps that I complete.  I have a chart posted on the wall in my workout room and I can keep track of how my reps and how my fitness improves over time.  When I finish with my Fit Test, I'm dripping in sweat and ready for some nourishment.

I baked a batch of cinnamon buttermilk muffins last night so that I can sit down and enjoy one with a cup of tea after my Fit Test.  I will also have
a small dish of Trader Joes vanilla yogurt to add some protein to my snack. 



Cinnamon Buttermilk Muffins
7 Tablespoons butter                                                                 Topping
2/3 cup sugar                                                                             1/3 cup sugar
1 egg                                                                                           1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups flour                                                                          3 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Prepare 10 muffin cups with paper liners and preheat oven to 350.  Beat butter and sugar in mixer until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg.  Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.  Add to butter in 2 additions, alternating with buttermilk and vanilla.  Stir until just moistened.  Scoop batter into muffin liners and bake 20 minutes at 350. 

It is going to be really hard to eat just one muffin.   I had my doubts when I was making the recipe because there isn't any cinnamon in the batter.  The muffins are nicely spiced with nutmeg and a sweet cinnamon sugar topping is added to the top after the muffins are baked.   These muffins baked up with nice rounded tops - beautiful.

Bon Appetit!




No comments:

Post a Comment