Monday, August 22, 2011

To blog or not to blog


When I first tasted this dish, I decided not to post it on my blog because I wasn't particularly impressed with the flavors.  During the course of dinner however, my family just couldn't say enough about how much they enjoyed this chicken.  They each had two helpings and then I watched them mop up the gravy on their plates with slices of bread.  That was precisely the moment when I changed my mind and decided that this recipe deserved to be on the blog.  I didn't change my opinion about the chicken - I still think that it lacks complexity of flavor but despite my personal opinion - my family loved it.  I'll let you be the judge.

I took this recipe out of a "Cuisine at Home" magazine.  I chose this recipe because the chicken really does look beautiful on the plate. Unfortunately, this photograph doesn't really do it any justice.  (I got overly anxious about tasting it and I forgot to garnish it.) 

Greek Chicken Roulades
12 pitted kalamata olives
6 Tablespoons bread crumbs
3 Tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup white wine(dry)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Combine olives, bread crumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, zest, garlic and oregano in a food processor.  Pulse until coarse.  Pound chicken breasts to 1/4" thickness and spread olive filling on top.  Roll chicken and secure with toothpicks.  Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.  Brown chicken breasts about 4 minutes.  Remove chicken and add onion to skillet.  Saute 2 minutes.  Add wine and cook until reduced to half.  Add broth and bring mixture to a boil.  Return chicken to pan, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook 10 minutes.  Remove chicken.  Whisk together lemon juice and cornstarch.  Stir into sauce in skillet and simmer one minute.  Slice roulades and serve with sauce.

This recipe is definitely worth a try.  If your family is anything like mine - they will love it. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment