Sunday, August 21, 2011

Personal Pizzas


My family loves pizza.  I like to load mine up with fresh vegetables, my husband and my son like meat on their pizza and my daughter keeps it simple - cheese only.  Normally, I am strictly opposed to making a different meal for each member of the family.  I make an exception when it comes to pizza though.  We all like to express our creativity and customize our own pizza. 

Tonight's dinner started out with a trip to the supermarket.  I purchased pizza sauce and pesto sauce to make preparations easier.  I also bought a  zucchini, a Roma tomato and a red bell pepper that looked particularly fresh.   I made a quick stop by the bakery to pick up some flat breads.  I also picked up some shredded mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni before checking out and heading home with my bag of goodies.

Grilled Flat Bread Pizzas
Veggie Pizza
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 zucchini, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 Roma tomato, diced
2 Tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon prepared pesto
2 teaspoons fresh basil, minced
2 flat breads
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Combine zucchini and pepper in a bowl with 1 Tablespoon oil and a pinch of salt.  Toss until coated.  Add to a grill basket and grill until vegetables are tender.  (I like my veggies slightly crunchy so I don't grill them very long.)

 
Remove from heat and add tomatoes to the vegetables.  Brush each flat bread on one side with 1/2 Tablespoon oil.  Grill breads, oiled side down for 2-3 minutes or until browned on the bottom.


Combine mayonnaise, pesto and basil.  Flip bread and spread with pesto mixture.


Top with vegetables and shredded cheese.  Grill, covered until cheese melts.


 Pizza Flat Breads
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup prepared pizza sauce
1/4 cup mozzarella,  shredded
2 flat breads

Brush 1 side of each flat bread with 1 Tablespoon oil.  Place on grill, oiled side down and grill until lightly browned.  Flip bread and add sauce, cheese and toppings.  Cover grill and cook until cheese melts.




These flat bread pizzas were really good and they were really easy to make.  I let them get a little too brown on the bottom so I recommend watching them really carefully while they are on the grill - they cook quickly.  (I think I got a little carried away with my photography and I left them on the grill a little too long.)  This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment