Friday, August 19, 2011

Meaningful Muffins


I wear many hats these days - wife, mother, volunteer, personal chef, cake baker, caterer and now - food blogger.  I love each and every one of my jobs but I'm sure that every woman (and man) can relate to the fact that it's a constant juggling act to keep everything in balance.  


No matter which job I am doing, I can be sure that I will be preparing food for someone at some point during the day.  I know that I've mentioned this before but my "love language" is food and I show my love and gratitude for other people through food.  Food generally makes people happy - for a lot of different reasons.  I love the reaction on people's faces when I deliver a meal or a cake.  I also like to hear my kids say "thanks mom" after dinner.  


Another way that I get to bless other people with food is through an FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) Bible study at my daughter's school.  Last year, I volunteered to send in a snack every week for this group of middle school kids who meet once a week before school.  The kids were so enthusiastic about the small treats that I would send, that I offered to send  the snacks again this school year.  I am not sure who is more blessed by the snack; the kids, or me?  Almost every time that I walk into the school, a child from FCA tells me how much they enjoy and appreciate the snack.  Did I mention that I love my jobs?


Chocolate Muffins
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375.  Line 12 muffins cups with paper liners.  Place unsweetened chocolate in a bowl and melt in double boiler.
Stir together flour, baking soda and salt.
In bowl of a standing mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy.  Beat in brown sugar until creamy.  Stir in egg, vanilla and chocolate.  Beat until combined.
Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk.  Mix until just smooth.
Fold in the chocolate chips and spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
Bake 20 minutes.


I finally made the investment in a cupcake carrier for my daughter transport the muffins to school.  I really don't know how we made it a year without one of these.  My poor child had to carry a bookbag that was way too heavy, her lunch box and balance a box of muffins all the way to school.   There is no telling what the muffins looked like when they arrived at school.

I looked at the Wilton cupcake carrier but it only held 12 regular sized muffins.  I really needed a carrier that could hold at least 24 muffins or cupcakes.  I found this carrier from Chef Mate at Target and it really seems to do the job well.  I feel much more confident about sending muffins to school in this carrier.  I will keep you updated about how well it holds up as this school year progresses.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment