Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Doughnuts in a jiffy


I have fond memories of my mom making home made yeast doughnuts for my brother and I when we were kids.  We could hardly wait until they were cool enough to handle before we started eating.  She usually let me help by dipping them in a sugar glaze or rolling them in powdered sugar after she fried them.   I have tried to carry on the tradition of making yeast doughnuts for my family at least once a year - usually around Halloween.  Now that you are sufficiently hungry for home made doughnuts, I should let you know that this isn't my mom's recipe for yeast doughnuts.  (That was cruel - I know.)

Since it isn't always possible to invest a couple of hours into doughnut making, I use this super simple recipe for doughnuts when time is short.  They are really good and they take less than 10 minutes - start to finish.  Eat them while they are warm and chances are - there won't be any leftovers. 

Biscuit Doughnut Holes
1 tube of refrigerated biscuits
Canola oil for frying
Powdered sugar

Cut each doughnut into quarters.  Roll each piece into a small ball.  Pour oil into a small skillet and heat over medium low heat.  Drop the balls of dough into the warm oil in several small batches.  Be sure to turn them frequently so they don't burn.  Use a tongs or a spider strainer to remove the holes from the oil and place them on a plate that is lined with paper towels.  Drain for several minutes.  Sprinkle the doughnuts with powdered sugar and transfer to a serving dish.  Just before serving, dust doughnut holes again with powdered sugar.

I will blog the recipe for my mom's famous yeast doughnuts this Fall, but in the meantime give these doughnuts a try.  They are so simple and delicious, you may find yourself making them once a week.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment