Monday, August 15, 2011

Black and White Salsa


My family was invited to a "Back to School" party over the weekend and we were asked to bring chips.  Even though my husband suggested picking up a bag of chips at the supermarket, I just couldn't bring myself to show up at a party with a bag of Doritos.  Don't get me wrong - I love Doritos but I didn't want that to be my contribution to the party.  I don't know if it was the lack of creativity or the lack of thought that is involved in purchasing a bag of chips but I just couldn't do it.  I ended up buying a bag of tortilla chips and making a chunky salsa to go along with it.   

I have seen quite a few versions of this recipe.  It is especially popular in the south for some reason.  I call mine Black and White salsa because I usually use white shoepeg corn and black beans.


Black and White Salsa
15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed   
Juice of 2 limes
10 ounces frozen white corn  (I used yellow this time because I was out of white corn.)             
1 jalapeno, thinly diced and ribs removed
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced              
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 red tomato, diced                     
½ teaspoon salt              
1/8 teaspoon pepper
fresh cilantro

Combine all ingredients and a large bowl.  Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.  Serve with chips.  Our favorite is Baked Scoops.


I love avocado and I think it makes just about everything taste better so I added avocado to my portion of the salsa.  (Pictured at the top of the blog.)  Unfortunately not everyone shares my love of this creamy vegetable so I left it out of the salsa that I was taking to the party.  It was a big hit.

Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment