Friday, August 5, 2011

Back to School Coffee Cake


I just can't believe that the summer is over and the first day of school is upon us.  The kids are excited about going back to school to reconnect with all of their friends.  I am doing my best to keep a positive attitude even though deep down, I hate to see them go.  I am truly going to miss hearing their voices in the house during the day.  I'm going to have to resort to talking to the dog - she's a good listener but not much of a conversationalist.  


To send the kids back to school in style - I made a coffee cake.  Quite honestly, I needed a little sweet indulgence today too - it wasn't totally selfless.  My brother gave me an autographed copy of "Flour" for my birthday and I just love it.  As I was flipping through the pages of this amazing cookbook, I came across this recipe for coffee cake.

New Old Fashioned Coffee Cake
Streusel
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cloves
3 Tablespoons cake flour
2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature

Cake
2 1/2 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup creme fraiche

Combine streusel ingredients in food processor and pulse until crumbly.  Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in mixer bowl.  Beat with a paddle and add butter, a few Tablespoons at a time.  Beat on low for 3-4 minutes.  Whisk together eggs, egg yolk, vanilla and creme fraiche.  Slowly pour half of egg mixture into flour mixture.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Reduce speed to low and add remaining egg mixture.  Beat on medium for 30 seconds.  Spoon 1 1/2 cups batter into streusel batter.  Fold together until well mixed.  Scrape nonstreusel batter into a greased bundt pan and smooth the top.  Spread streusel batter on top evenly.  Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Let cool in pan for at least 3 hours.  Remove cake from pan.  Slice and enjoy.

Bob Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment