Monday, July 25, 2011

Salsa Day


What do I do when my garden produces more tomatoes than I can eat?  I make salsa.  I picked these beautiful tomatoes and peppers from my garden and from a neighbors garden.  (Thanks Tracy)  I tried a new recipe for Roasted Tomato Salsa from the July issue of Taste of Home magazine yesterday.  I made a few modifications to the recipe but I really liked the flavors of the salsa.

Roasted Tomato Salsa
12 large tomatoes, halved and seeded
4 jalapeno peppers, ribs and seeds removed
1 large sweet yellow pepper, finely chopped
1 bunch of fresh cilantro
1/4 cup lime juice
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves
 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
12 green onions, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 - 1 Tablespoon ground chipolte pepper (depending on spiciness desired)
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Tortilla Chips

Arrange half of the tomatoes, cut side down, and peppers on a foil lined baking sheet.  Broil until slightly blackened.  Cool.  Remove skin from tomatoes.


Process peppers and tomatoes in food processor until chunky consistency.  Pour into a colander to drain water from the mixture.  Chop remaining tomatoes into small pieces and drain in same colander.  Combine cilantro, lime juice, oil, garlic and lime peel in food processor.  Process until blended.  Transfer tomatoes to a bowl and add lime mixture.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Cover and refrigerate at least an hour to blend flavors.  Serve with tortilla chips.


Salsa is a great snack and a great way to sneak some vegetables into your family's diet.  My family likes to eat their salsa with Baked Scoops.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment