Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Clams anyone?

I'm not even sure that I can properly pronounce the name of tonight's dinner.  But I can tell you that it was really easy, super fast and my kids loved it.  Even for those of us that haven't had a lot of experience at cooking clams, it was really easy.  This recipe is definitely a keeper.  I came across this recipe in the May 2011 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. 


Spaghetti Alle Vonogole
6 ounces spaghetti
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup white wine (I used Beringer's Moscoto but any white wine will do.)
12 little neck clams, scrubbed


Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil.  Season with salt.  Add pasta and cook 2 minutes.  Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.  Heat oil in skillet.  Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.  Add red pepper flakes, wine and clams.  Increase heat to high, cover and cook 3 minutes.  (Or until clams open)  Remove clams with tongs and add reserved pasta water to skillet.  Bring to a boil and add drained pasta.  Cook over high heat, tossing constantly until pasta is al dente.  Transfer pasta to serving dish, add clams and any juices.  Garnish with fresh parsley or basil.

The only change that I would make in the recipe would be to add more clams.  I didn't anticipate that my teenagers would like them as much as they did.  Just in case you are inspired to give this recipe a try - Publix has a special on little neck clams this week. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment